Guild Meet Up - April 27
Noon at CNCH, Oakland Convention Center
Oakland Convention Center
12th Street at Broadway, Oakland CA
NO ADMISSION FEE REQUIRED!
Rather than change our normal 4th Sunday meeting date, we moved our meeting location and start time.
We plan an informal gathering with lots of sharing, show and tell, and stories about this year’s Conference of Northern California Hand Weavers, Spinners, Dyers and Basketmakers, CNCH 2014 Branch Out with Fibers, at the Oakland Convention Center.
Some of us have registered for conference and will be at CNCH as of Friday April 25. Some have registered for classes and won’t arrive for our meet up until 12:30PM. Others have volunteered to help teach drop spindle spinning with our CD spindles.
Look for our guild banner on one of the tables in the hallway between hotel lobby and Marketplace Entrance. We created this Indonesian style banner for a previous CNCH conference in Grass Valley. It is Indigo tie dye, tall and narrow, with handspun tassels.
THINGS TO BRING:
- Hand spun tassel to add to our guild banner
- CNCH treasures, purchases, class examples
- Project (that you would normally carry)
DO NOT BRING Library Materials to return. Our Librarian is traveling light.
We will be inside the building but OUTSIDE the admission / registration required areas of the conference. Please note that the marketplace closes Sunday at 2PM, but galleries are scheduled for tear down starting Noon
• April 27 Meeting: NOON Meet UP during CNCH 2014 Oakland. Look for us in the hallway between the Marketplace entrance and the conference registration / information desk in the Oakland Convention Center, 550 10th St near Broadway. No conference registration or admission fees required.
• May 24 Workshop: Spinning Hemp Fiber with Joan Ruane.
9 AM – 4 PM $30 workshop fee (payable to Spindles & Flyers) and $10 materials fee (paid to teacher on day of class).
Email Amy at oshunoxt AT pacbell DOT net
• May 25 Guild Meeting: Where Has Industrial Hemp Gone? with Joan Ruane. Includes handouts and
• June 22 Guild Meeting: Sit Some, Spin Some, Snack Some, Yak Some. Our annual pot luck picnic and
• Our 60th Anniversary year is 2015. Members agreed to dedicate programs to spinning techniques, yarn structures, worsted and woolen drafts, specifications and plying. See Sarah Anderson’s book of 80+ yarn structures: the Spinners Book of Yarn Designs, Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns for inspiration.http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/spindles--flyers/topics/2819342
Dues are Due: $30 individual, $45 family / household.
Send to treasurer.
Meeting calendar –4th Sunday Sept - June
- April 27 Meet UP at CNCH conference, Oakland, in the hallway 12-1:30PM, Oakland Convention
- May 24 Hemp spinning workshop Joan Ruane
- May 25 Joan Ruane spinning hemp program
- June 22 Sit Some, Spin Some, Snack Some, Yak Some guild picnic and spin in.
More information is also on our Facebook page.
Typical Guild Meeting Agenda
11:00 am - Guild Business Meeting (more fun than business -- where all the awesome announcements and events around town are listed, new members introduced, show-and-tell, discussion about issues, etc.)
Noon - lunch break and social hour (bring your bag lunch and make a new friend)
1:00 pm - program (either a guest lecture or group activity)
2:00 or 3:00 pm - program ends
We start a new program year each September with the annual paying of dues. Dues are now $30 per year for one person or $45 for households or family groups. Please complete the membership form with full name, street, city, ZIP, home phone, cell phone, email, and family member if paying $45 family rate. Request USPS mailing address from our guild treasurer.
Yearly dues are discounted 50% for new members joining in February to May. Any dues paid in the summer are counted as the new program year.